Thursday 13 February 2020

Doug McClure - the cowboy king

In my early childhood, American TV was everywhere. However, I doubt it had much relevance to American culture in the 1960s.  I Love Lucy? Dick Van Dyke? The Beverly Hillbillies? Bonanza? Oh, come on! As a young boy, one of the few examples I lapped up were Westerns. It’s hardly surprising we were always playing ‘Cowboys and Indians’, probably the last generation of boys to do so.

With home-grown dramas in short supply, cheap films dominated the early evening BBC schedules. Back then, the likes of Alan Ladd, Richard Widmark and Randolph Scott were as

ubiquitous on our screens as Bob Monkhouse, Hughie Green or Dick Emery. However, the show which seemed to herald the start of our weekend was The Virginian.

Before homework began to infiltrate my leisure time on Friday evenings, the family would sit down after our fish and chips, and watch this saga of Shiloh ranch hands and Medicine Bow folk. The stirring Percy Faith theme tune accompanied sequences of cowboys on galloping horses. What’s not to like? James Drury played the eponymous hero but for me the most memorable character was Trampas, played by Doug McClure.

Blonde-haired and square-jawed, it was a surprise the Californian wasn’t a bigger star by the time The Virginian began in 1962. Apparently he had served his apprenticeship in other westerns so knew how to ride. He wasn’t all about shooting scalp-hungry, tomahawk-waving native Americans either, which I particularly appreciated. As I grew older, my allegiance transferred away from the cowboys. Indeed I often stood out from my crowd by supporting the underdog in all manner of circumstances, from Tom in Tom and Jerry to Somerset CCC and Queens Park Rangers. The Virginian may have been set in the late nineteenth century but, like Star Trek, it was quite progressive compared with Sixties USA for whom the Wild West had been transplanted into the Far East and the Vietnam War. The series featured plenty of gunfights but not with the ‘Indians’ with whom Shiloh seemed to operate a policy of respect laced with an inevitable degree of mutual suspicion.

I doubt the political and social nuances registered with this young boy but the adventures of Trampas and his colleagues made for a healthy dose of escapism on a Friday night. McClure stayed with the programme right to the end, surviving even a radical change of format, pace and look for the final series. I could forgive Trampas his new moustache but the pedant in my eleven year-old self took great offence at the absence of capital letters in the titles and cast list. That was – and remains – beyond the pale!

Doug McClure appeared in plenty more American dramas and mini-series, most of them crap, but few made it to our screens. An exception was the engrossing 1977 saga Roots, based on the Alex Haley bestseller, in which Trampas morphed into a nasty piece of work called Jemmy. Consequently I prefer to remember McClure as the more enlightened Virginian character. 

It wasn’t the only Western series I watched. BBC2 broadcast The High Chaparral repeats for years, although it wasn’t one of our regulars. Alias Smith and Jones, on the other hand, was essential viewing. Not so much with all the family but amongst my friends. Indeed it boasted some of the highest audience figures the channel had ever known. The tales of likeable outlaws Hannibal Heyes and ‘Kid’ Curry were more light-hearted than The Virginian and were great fun for a twelve- or thirteen year-old. I think that by the late ‘70s, Westerns had been supplanted by cop shows, so probably the last TV series I watched was The Quest, broadcast in the UK in ‘77.

As for Doug McClure, his tendency to appear in dodgy series and straight-to-video movies has been lampooned in comedies ever since, from Red Dwarf to The Simpsons. As one of the models for the TV character Troy McClure, he lives on in a twilight world of public information films and a sense of perpetual bewilderment. It’s said that the real Doug’s family assured him that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery…..

He may not have been the greatest actor, nor someone who has frequently punctuated my life of viewing. However, McClure represents a part of my childhood when a bike was my prized possession and the fictional cowboy was king.

No comments:

Post a Comment