Saturday 30 November 2019

Haway, pet. It's James Bolam

Howay, pet! For all his more recent TV ventures away from the North East, I find it impossible to think of James Bolam without hearing a boisterous burst of Geordie or his native Wearside dialect.

It was part and parcel of my soundtrack, especially in the Seventies, beginning with Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? I was too young to have seen the original Sixties comedy series which made stars of Bolam and Rodney Bewes but there was something about the revival which chimed with this young Southerner. 

The stagey production and camerawork might appear dated but I still enjoy watching the series more than forty years later. The marvellous dialogue written by Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais still sounds fresh but when spoken by the stars it assumes a whole new life of its own, and it’s Bolam’s character Terry who’s the heart and soul of the show. Even the themes of nostalgia, melancholy and childlike mistrust of foreigners are as pertinent today as they ever were, with Terry portraying Nigel Farage’s working-class muse in the early days of our liaison with Europe.

To be honest, I was more drawn to his upwardly-mobile mate Bob; Terry was a bit too rude, crude and politically incorrect. In today’s landscape, Bob would probably vote Green or Lib Dem while Terry would surely be a flag-waving Brexiteer. Yet James Bolam made him a sympathetic character; I felt sorry for his plight, returning from the army to find his world turned upside-down.

If there’s one thing I don’t like about Bolam’s acting style it’s his tendency to shout all his lines, as if always aiming for the rear seats in the Upper Circle. This was particularly palpable in his role of Roy Figgis in ITV’s Only When I Laugh which ran for four series in my university years. I watched only a couple of episodes. Eric ‘Rising Damp’ Chappell’s scripts were quite amusing but Bolam’s delivery gave me a headache! When Thames adapted the Daily Mirror cartoon Andy Capp for the small screen in 1988 I didn’t even give it a try despite Bolam surely being a perfect fit.

What I did watch was the late-Seventies BBC drama series When the Boat Comes In. Whilst firmly grounded in the North East, this was no comedy. It lived or died on the credibility of the hero Jack and, thanks to James Bolam’s star quality and acting ability, it racked up 51 episodes of often enthralling television which hooked the whole family. The jaunty Geordie folk song, performed by Alex Glasgow, drew you in but it wasn’t a jolly romp. Instead it followed Jack‘s journey from World War 1 demob through the social and political turmoil on poverty-stricken ‘20s Tyneside. I don’t normally do costume drama but, despite losing its way a little towards the end, When The Boat… left me with fonder memories than any Catherine Cookson serialisation.

No longer a likely lad, in the Eighties Bolam showed a real talent for comedy-drama. In ’85, he starred in Yorkshire TV’s The Beiderbecke Affair as a jazz-loving woodwork teacher who, along with his colleague and girlfriend played by Barbara Flynn, becomes involved in unlikely mysteries and adventures. Apparently Alan Plater adapted the characters from an earlier series starring Alun Armstrong, another North Easterner who has graced TV and theatre for many years and whose career path has often crossed that of Bolam’s. I think watching the series would originally have been Dad’s choice, given the provenance of writer, star and music, but my diary records that all three serials of what became known as The Beiderbecke Trilogy were among my favourites of the period.

James seemed to disappear off my personal radar for several years before resurfacing as a reluctant hero in The Missing Postman, one of those uplifting, heartwarming two-parters so beloved of the Beeb on Easter weekends during the Nineties. By now in his sixties he later joined an ensemble cast in Born and Bred. Prompted by Mum I reckon I watched a few episodes but the rose-tinted view of rosy-cheeked Northern folk in the Fifties made me see red and, despite the presence of Mr B, I found alternative things to do with my life on Sunday evenings.

Amongst other things I almost certainly caught him guesting as a priest on Dalziel and Pascoe (can’t remember whether or not he ‘dun it’), before he landed possibly a role in possibly his most popular series for decades, New Tricks. Harnessing the talents of former coppers played by a trio of much-loved actors, it built a huge following on BBC1 and I, too, became a fan. A crime show with a light touch, it proved a winning formula. However, if anything, James Bolam was outshone by Dennis Waterman (well, he did sing the theme tune, of course) and the dogged but dour Alun Armstrong whose wife in the series was Susan Jameson, in reality married to Bolam, with whom she had played Jessie in When the Boat Comes In. Aye, bonnie lad, it’s an incestuous business

As I write this, James Bolam is still going aged 84. Fellow Likely Lad Rodney Bewes is no longer with us but, even with extra wrinkles and rheumier eyes, I’m sure the venerable son of Sunderland can still hold the screen with a canny twinkle and a perfectly timed comic line.

No comments:

Post a Comment